Thursday, August 23, 2012

Whitney Meyers on the Start of a New Program


Welcome to the Hatter Lax Nation Blog.  We're still working on the name, but for the time being, we hope you enjoy some of the stories and insights from within the brand new Stetson Women's Lacrosse program courtesy of this blog.  Our first entry comes from goalkeeper Whitney Meyers of Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.

-----------------------

Friday night was when it hit me – I am really leaving for college tomorrow. As sad as I was to leave my family, I found some comfort in knowing I had 18+ soon to be best friends waiting for me. Even more comforting was the fact that all these girls (my teammates) were in the same situation as me…starting at a new school and playing for a new team.

Being a team composed primarily of freshmen and new students is a unique, and in my eyes, special situation that I was able to see over this last week of orientation. Since the team was all new to Stetson, we all had to go through orientation together. This was a good thing considering every meeting/event we went to there was always a teammate to meet and spend time with. At one such orientation meeting early in the week I kept hearing one of Stetson’s signature sayings, “Be Daring.” As I heard this it dawned on me that the rest of my new teammates and I dared to join a new women’s Division I lacrosse team. We dared to become a part of something completely unknown and unheard of for Stetson; a team with no traditions or prior accomplishments. We dared to join so we could start the traditions and make a reputation for ourselves – something both exciting and nerve racking. However, we had each other to go through it with, helping to bond us immediately. It felt as if I’d known these girls my entire life. Within a day we all were already laughing at inside jokes and using nicknames. Personally, I’ve never bonded so fast and so well with a team than I have with this group of girls.

One of the best parts of orientation was finally getting to see the new athletic complex. When Coach Moore first showed me the facilities I was so motivated and encouraged to get out on the field and play to the best of my ability. The fact that the school and athletics department built such an amazing facility for us and football (both first year sports) is unheard of, and just goes to show the support and commitment Stetson has to growing and encouraging athletics. I loved walking through the field house for that first time and seeing our locker room, weight room, meeting rooms, training room and even where our laundry is done for us, because it truly made me feel like a Division I athlete…well that and all the compliance forms we had to sign.

Whitney Meyers
Goalkeeper
Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.

No comments:

Post a Comment